March 30, 2010

A year in review

It's been almost a year since that last post.

I haven't forgotten this blog. I think about it often, but life seems to get in the way. A topic I want to discuss comes & goes and then we're on to the next phase of life.

Since that post, Mason has changed childcare providers to a more structured Preschool environment. When considering enrollment there, both Mark & I visited several times and had several meetings and discussions about how to handle Mason, his food, any reactions, and teaching the other kids that sharing toys is great, but food - not so much.

I keep waiting for the honeymoon period at his school to end. If that's any indication as to how well they are managing his food allergies, I don't know what is.

Spring is here once again, and we are in full swing of the daily nose sniffle battle. Earlier in the season Mason had a cold, which again settled in his chest. The wheezing, coughing fits and gasps in the middle of the night started up again. Terrifying. As soon as I recognized the whistle of the wheeze we took him in. His regular MD diagnosed Reactive Airway Disease, first step to asthma.

We were prescribed an inhaler to manage the attacks. Mason calls it his Airplane mask and is eager and willing when it comes time to adminsiter.

We still get flare ups from cross exposures like milk or cheese kisses from loved ones, but they are few & far between.

We are definately overdue for a visit to the allergist for some current records. Quite a lot has changed in Mason's developement over the last year, and I imagine it's not any different for his allergies, both seasonal and food related.

I commit to posting here more often. At least more than once a year.

No comments: